Can convicted felons travel to Canada?

Can a convicted felon in the United States travel to Canada? According to several legal sources and the Canadian government: it is possible, but the process is difficult and it takes time to get approval.

In general, most convicted felons can't travel to Canada. However, if your conviction was a long time ago, you may be able to apply for the proper paperwork that will let you enter Canada.

You can learn more about this here:

Application for Rehabilitation for Persons Who are Inadmissible to Canada Because of Past Criminal Activity

Rehabilitation For Persons Who Are Inadmissible to Canada Because of Past Criminal Activity

You can apply for individual rehabilitation if at least five years have passed since you completed your criminal sentences. People who are ineligible for approval of rehabilitation because not enough time has passed can complete the form and check “For Information Only.” An officer will decide if special permission for temporary admission is warranted.


  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  2. My brother was convicted of a sex crime fifteen years ago and just got off probation. We have always wanted to go to Canada for a vacation. Can he cross into the country?

  3. My one experience with this issue was around 1993 while on tour with a band that was crossing from NY, bound for Montreal. As a couple of agents were searching the coach, suddenly five or so more agents came over, had us all stand to the side and we could see they were now being very thorough with intense focus around the drivers seat. Up in the front trough for the destination signage they found bullets and a gun under the drivers seat. It turns out our driver had a felony conviction for armed robbery of a store in Detroit. The result was that they let us in. I assume it had something to do with the fact that we were there on business with a concert that evening and were supposedly going to be there less than 24 hours.