Job assistance programs

Looking for a job? Find a job assistance program.

The Department of Labor's Employment and Training Administration (ETA) funds training programs that teach job skills and provide job placement services for adults who are at least 18 years of age. The programs are administered locally by One Stop Career Centers. The types of training offered by a local training center can vary depending on the job opportunities in the community. To help locate training programs in your area, search for a One Stop Center in your state, visit America's Service Locator, or call ETA's Toll-Free Help Line at (877) US-2JOBS (TTY: 1-877-889-5267).

President Barack Obama signed the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) into law on July 22, 2014. WIOA is designed to help job seekers access employment, education, training, and support services to succeed in the labor market and to match employers with the skilled workers they need to compete in the global economy. Congress passed the Act by a wide bipartisan majority; it is the first legislative reform in 15 years of the public workforce system.

Canada Temporary Resident Permits

If you need to visit Canada, you may want to look into this option:

Temporary resident permits

If you are otherwise inadmissible but have a reason to travel to Canada that is justified in the circumstances, you may be issued a temporary resident permit.

To be eligible for a temporary resident permit, your need to enter or stay in Canada must outweigh the health or safety risks to Canadian society, as determined by an immigration or a border services officer. Even if the reason you are inadmissible seems minor, you must demonstrate that your visit is justified.

There is no guarantee that you will be issued a temporary resident permit. If you would like to receive a permit, you will have to pay a processing fee, which is not refundable.

A permit is usually issued for the length of your visit to Canada—for example, one week to attend a conference. You must leave Canada by the expiry date of the permit, or get a new permit before your current one expires.

Please note that this permit may be cancelled by an officer at any time. The permit is no longer valid once you leave Canada, unless you have specifically been authorized to leave and re-enter.

Jobs for convicted felons - people with criminal records

People will criminal records can find jobs. They need a second chance at life. They need to be gainfully employed so that they can give back to society. They need to find an employer who is willing to take a chance on them.

Convicted felons face many challenges when they apply for jobs.
  • How do you describe your criminal past?
  • Why did you do it?
  • How do you show that you've taking responsibility and that you have changed?
  • What does it mean to get rehabilitated?
  • How can you assure an employer that you won't slip up and make a similar mistake?

Felons need to remember that people all make mistakes. Nobody is perfect. Never give up. Don't get discouraged. You'll get a lot of rejections. Denials. You'll get close, but then the job won't come through. Don't give up. If you persist and find the right people who are willing to help you and guide you through the process, you'll succeed in finding something that is rewarding.

You may need to start with something small and patiently work your way back up.

Jobs for convicted felons

These days, it's hard to find a job. What kind of employment can convicted felons find? View employers, in your state, and city, that hire felons. Check out Xamire:

Can a felon go to Canada?

A DUI in the United States can easily bar you from entry into Canada. A misdemeanor in the United States may be considered a more serious offense in Canada.

Fill out the application for people who are inadmissible to Canada because of past criminal activity and who wish to overcome the inadmissibility in order to obtain temporary or permanent admission to Canada. In order to file for Rehabilitation certification, Canada can impose an application fee from $200 to over $1,000. The amount you will pay is tied into the seriousness of your conviction.

Rehabilitation For Persons Who Are Inadmissible to Canada Because of Past Criminal Activity

You are eligible to apply for rehabilitation if you have:
•committed an act outside of Canada and five years have elapsed since the act;
•been convicted outside of Canada and five years have passed since the end of the sentence imposed. As there are different types of sentences, use the following table to calculate the five-year waiting period.

Please don't judge us too quickly

If you believe that we all deserve a second chance, then please don't judge us too quickly. If you've made mistakes that you regret, then please don't judge us too quickly.

Felons need a second chance at life.

Convicts need to know that they can find employment opportunities if they work hard.

A lot of felons feel very sorry for what they've done. They never want to make another major mistake in their life. They want to give back to society. They want to undo the wrong they've done.

Please give us a second chance. Don't be too quick to judge people who have a criminal record. We can be rehabilitated. We can change. We can become better people.

Companies that hire felons and ex-convicts

Getting a job after prison can be tough. Fortunately, a number of companies hire felons and ex-convicts to give them another chance to continue their rehabilitation, remain gainfully employed, and contribute back to society. Here's a list of companies that hire felons: